Friday, April 16, 2010

I hate eczema (and reflux too)

I really thought that we were going to get to skip eczema with the new baby. He was doing great for months and then all of a sudden his face is covered in eczema (I always have a hard time spelling that word!). Mason, my older son, had a really bad case of eczema and cradle cap. Picture oozing green yuck coming from the poor baby's head. It was stressful, mainly because nothing really helped except for just growing out of it. We tried all the creams and ointments, changed his diet, etc. and nothing would work to any great extent.

The new baby has had his share of other issues with reflux which I think we finally have control of, but now the eczema. I can tell he is itchy and now on top of the Prevacid he needs to take for reflux, we need to put steroid ointment on his face. Boo.

I know there can be many worse things, but jeeze, I'm so frustrated. The hardest part for me is not knowing exactly what is causing it. It could be his milk based formula. It could be the rice starch in the Enfamil AR we use. It could be someone's fabric softener or perfume. It could be the cats or dog. He's too young for allergy testing apparently so no real way of knowing.

We're giving the ointment a try before we change much else (except for switching to the Free fabric softener). I really don't want to have to switch to the very expensive hypoallergenic formula.

No comments: